Friday, January 20, 2012

Beyond Christianity: Bless Me, Ultima



This is the second time I have read Bless Me, Ultima, but, I’ll be the first to admit that it was the first time I understood it. The first time I read this novel, I was in middle school, and many parts of it I did not understand. I understood the basic story, but I did not catch the struggles between Antonio’s Márez self and his Luna self. I also had previously missed the role of women in Antonio’s life and how differently they are viewed—here I am thinking specifically about the differences between his mother, the girls at Rosie’s and then, Ultima.

The role of family in Bless Me, Ultima is what interested me the most—not the aspect of religion and spirituality. The father and his actions, as well as the actions of Antonio’s older brothers, fascinated me. It seems so strange to me that his three older brothers would waste their money and their time with the girls at Rosie’s or gambling or drinking. I would have imagined that three boys who had gone off to war would return with a sense of solemnity and a need to be responsible. It was interesting too to see how they each dealt with post-traumatic stress from the war. If there were another book about Antonio’s brothers, I would definitely read it. They were so important and had so many stories--an example of wonderful character writing by Anaya.

Ultima, of course, was the most provocative character in my mind. She was a powerful woman who knew exactly who she was and what she needed to be doing on Earth. Even though this is a fictional story, I’d like to think that it mirrors real life, and that the respect that Antonio’s family had for Ultima is true for how real families respect wise, older women in their lives. What I like most about Ultima is how she never explicitly states what she believes—I have no idea whether or not she was a Christian—but I know that she is a good person, and that is, in some ways, far more important. The blessing that she gives Antonio as she is dying is one of the most honorable and beautiful things I can imagine someone to hope for another. She says:

"I bless you in the name of all that is good and strong and beautiful, Antonio. Always have the strength to live. Love life, and if despair enters your heart, look for me in the evenings when the wind is gentle and the owls sing in the hills. I shall be with you."
Ultima to Antonio
(Bless Me, Ultima 261)

4 comments:

  1. Yes, Lavonne I totally agree; the three brothers give the story its full power I think because as Antonio is going through his own issues, he cannot really rely on his brothers for advice or his family. The family theme is strong in this book and in our lives in general, we tend to make decisions based on how our families would react or say about those decisions. I like how Anaya has made the three brothers unstable in Antonio's life, which means he had to grow up on his own, he had to rely on himself to deal with issues. Thats a powerful message. P.S. That last quote by Ultima, is also very powerful and meaningful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely agree with your analysis of Anaya's strengths; the characters he creates are by far what pumps the story so full of energy. Much like you, I found Anthony’s relationships with his family to be what intrigued me most. In theatre, they say that the only way to make things interesting on stage is to show the audience a close relationship, and then to show that relationship falling apart. I think the same could be said for literature: the brothers were fascinating in providing a foil to Anthony, and in their relationship to their parents, and Narciso’s struggles were some of the most exciting to watch. One part I hadn’t thought about, which I appreciate you pulling out, is the wide spectrum of females present; and yet despite large differences in stage-time, each one ended up influencing Anthony in huge ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lavonne, I'm glad you had a chance to reread this book in college. Although it's often taught as a young adult novel, there are themes in this book that kids just aren't ready to understand. I'd argue with you a bit about Ultima--I think she does say exactly what she believes, but she doesn't express her opinions about the church. It doesn't appear that she feels that her beliefs are in conflict with the church, but can coexist with it. It's true she's silent about theology, but her expressed beliefs are about life and healing and the innocence that is always a part of nature. Her final words to Antonio, which you've quoted above, help the reader move beyond specific creeds and rituals--beyond Christianity, as you put it, or maybe into a deeper understanding of Christianity that affirms life and creation. The drawing from your edition of the book is beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. - And family. Yes, crucially important to this book and glad you brought it up here. A study of Antonio's dreams reveals the importance of his brothers and his love for his parents, even though he feels torn between their dreams for him. I hope we will be able to talk about it more in our discussion of gender roles on Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete