Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Dreaming in Cuban Response


Pilar, the daughter of Lourdes, is better connected to her grandmother Celia than to her mother.

Pilar lives with her family in New York City, but gets sick of her mother and decides to run away. She gets on a bus to Miami with the intention of eventually getting to Cuba.

On the busride, Pilar dreams about being in Cuba and in it, she says that “the peple lift me up high and walk with me in a slow procession toward the sea. They’re chanting in a language I don’t understand. I don’t feel scared, though…I can see my grandmother’s face” (Garcia 34). This quotation shows that Pilar does not understand the Cuban language or culture completely—she cannot understand the language the people in her dream are chanting. Regardless, she is not afraid. Her grandmother gives her a sense of stability and connection, despite the physical and cultural distances.

Despite the physical distance, Pilar still says that her grandmother and her talk every night. Because of this ability to communicate freely, Pilar and Celia have created a very deep bond.
This truth further reveals the amount of magical realism present in the novel.

Throughout the novel, Pilar’s character remains more connected to her grandmother and less connected to her mother, and is a significant aspect to all three women’s stories.

5 comments:

  1. Lavonne, how is Pilar's running away in the beginning of the novel connected with her trip back to the Island at the end of the novel? How does this trip complicate her bond with her Abuela Celia?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lavonne, the passage you quoted was one of my favorites! It is beautifully written and portrays the deep connection between Pilar and her Grandmother, Celia. As I read your blog it struck me how deep this connection must run for Pilar to be compelled to run away from her family in America. It only fully struck me when I put myself in Pilar's shoes. How deep a connection, or rather, how much disconnect would it take for me to run away from my family? I haven't experienced these kinds of borders in my own family, so I can only imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lavonne, I wish that I had read this before I posted my own blog. I did not mention the relationship of Pilar and Celia, but it is a great representation of the magical realism that is throughout the novel. Although the two of them have never actually been together (in Pilar's memory), there is a relationship there that has grown and succeeded despite physical and realistic barriers. Your blog post reminded me of my SST experience. Even though I did not know the culture or the language when I left for China, I felt a deep connection to the country, especially after I left. I don't think that my relationship has diminished either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the character of Pilar was the one I connected with the most. I loved the fact that she was the youngest character, but the most like her aging grandmother. She was also a wonderful counterpoint to Lourdes. She may have left Cuba, but she can't get away from her own daughter!

    The moment where Pilar lies to Celia about Ivanito is one of the most powerful in the book for me. Where there is an element of mystery there, it seems to hint at a fading connection with her grandmother as the old world of Cuba fades away. Like all great immigrant stories, this is both a tale of celebratory connection and loss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lavonne, I’m glad I read this post on Pilar, because as you highlight, she has such a close relationship with Celia, who I am focusing on. The passage you selected was particularly enlightening, as it deals with both a dream—which is so crucial to the book, and our understanding of it—as well as Pilar’s relationship to her grandmother, and to the sea, something that we know is quite important as well.

    Speaking of crucial and enlightening, I really appreciated your use of links. Both enlightening and entertaining (I rofled when Miami started playing), it was clear you put some thought into how the blog medium could contribute to my reading experience. Love it!

    ReplyDelete