Thursday, February 16, 2012

A Response to The Devil's Highway


The crosses along the border fence represent those who have died trying to cross.
Photo courtesy of keiforce.



The Devil's Highway by Luis Alberto Urrea is, in my opinion, the most well-written and emotionally-riveting book that we have read so far. I think the reason it connects so well and makes such an impact is because the idea of borders is one that we can all relate to.

What borders have I had to cross?

Thinking about it, I keep going back and looking at pictures I have posted up in my room, or the ones I have saved on my computer or even some of the ones I'm tagged in on Facebook. The pictures are all of the places where I felt those borders (college, working at camp, working in Chicago, my family, my on-again-off-again friends) but that's not where I find the borders themselves. There are no pictures of the borders I've experienced like there are photos of the US-Mexican border. People don't usually take pictures of the things keeping them out of or separated from where they want to be. But these borders are important.

And in my case, every border has people that are encouraging and supportive on each side of the fence. What would I do if I didn't have that support system to help me through? What if I got to the other side and realized I didn't know the language? What if I got there and every sign looked like WingDings and every person talking sounded like R2D2? I'd be straight out of luck. I'd give up. I'd go home.

The people that cross the border along the Sonoran Desert are either the stupidest or the bravest people I have heard of. The courage that they have to come to a new place across a land known to be threatening and devastating, and known to be a killer--even under the best conditions. I can't imagine having the strength or the willpower or feeling so responsible for my loved ones that I would cross such a destructive area to support them. I have so much respect for people that travel across the desert--and for any person that goes through hardships--to benefit the ones they love.

5 comments:

  1. I also thought that The Devil’s Highway was one of the better books we have read so far. Something about how Urrea presented the journey made me really think about the walkers and the border patrol, both groups on opposite sides just trying to make the best of a bad situation. I would agree with you that the people that cross are either very brave or very unintelligent to voluntarily put their lives in the hands of gangsters and cross into a very unforgiving desert. I don’t know whether to hold them up as heroes or try to instill some common sense in those that try to accomplish this harrowing journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also think that The Devil's Highway was the book that played into my emotions. I had not had much experience with the border. I have seen one part of it but I was so unaware of the desert and what people experience trying to cross it. The way Urrea describes the experience makes it easier to relate to and picture which in turn makes me think the same as you- they are either the bravest or stupidest people I have heard of. I cannot imagine choosing to go through such harsh conditions. Yes, I know the people who do are searching for something better. However, I cannot imagine being so desperate that I would risk my life to go through such agony to come to a place where I couldn't even get a good job and where people judge me because I am Hispanic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lavonne, you mention your wall of photos and borders you have crossed--I'd be interested in hearing more about what kinds of borders you are referring to. Borders exist in our minds as well as in the physical divisions humans and nations erect: what similarities exist between these different kinds of borders?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lavonne,

    I find it comforting you have deep respect for those who cross the desert and that you admire the love that immigrants show for their families--some having to go through hell to make a decent living in the United States... even if it is breaking numerous laws.

    You mentioned that you have multiple photographs hanging in your room as well as Facebook, and that you sometimes felt you had to attempt "crossing" these borders. Which borders are you speaking of? Furthermore, what borders did you particularly find discomforting during your SST experience?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your how you put your own personal borders. It is not the US/Mexico but you have your own borders much like mine. I had to cross a place coming into Goshen and I must admit it was a different change. It wasn't negative but it was something different. I wasn't around many hispanics. I wasn't around the culture that I grew up with. I wasn't around great food anymore. I wasn't around family or friends. I left a big part of my life to create a better life and that was through education. Also, the people were much nicer here than in San Antonio. Don't you kind of wish the border patrol would welcome immigrants like the Goshen College people welcome people?

    ReplyDelete